Thursday, November 20, 2008

How was my night?....well... thanks for asking!

You know, it's rough being almost 2! Brody took it to a whole new level tonight and I'm pleased to announce that we all came out all right.
Some afternoon to evenings just drag on for me...especially with early release from school. When it's dark and rainy (quite blustery if you will)at 4:30, I'm ready to call it a day. Put on the pjs, brush your teeth and good night. Poor Mr. Brody didn't catch onto the nap idea today so this afternoon/evening was especially draggy and oh so pleasant. To avoid all mommy ugliness and frustration with a screaming child, I simply got out my camera to document the evening's activities. He was not amused to say the least. It did the trick for me.

To set the stage, I was baking cookies. Now tonight's baking means:Nestle mini(everything is better in a mini version) chocolate chip cookies from the fridge. Brody wanted them NOW...mini dough pieces...NOW! He wasn't thrilled with the constraints of a baking time limit. 12 minutes looked like this:

New and deliciously snuggly jammies...he totally hated them and wanted them off, sweat was forming hated them.

Avoiding the serious threat of "night night." He decided that unrolling the paper towels was a good distraction strategy.

Really wanted cookies, really didn't want soup, really was ticked that soup got on his deliciously snuggly jammies (that he hated) when he pulled the bowl off the table in a fit of so almost 2 year old rage.



Wishing the door open.




Tear stained, snotty nose, exhausted cookie joy!



As the so almost 2 year old whirlwind swirled around the kitchen, these 2 played school all night. The one on the left...that's "Tom" and meet his teacher, "Mr.Klein."
I finally put Brody to bed and came downstairs to let Tom and Mr. Klein know that school was out. The house was peacefully calm and I was done. Mr. Klein chimed up and said, "Mom, so what are we gonna talk about tonight...it's so quiet, and kinda boring!"

4 comments:

Emily Kern said...

Why do I love posts like this so much? I should just start breaking out the camera whenever I am feeling overwhelmed. The other day I did and caught Bella in a horrific, very forced fit screaming "I.....WANT......CAAANNNDDDYYYYYY!" It was great.

Amy said...

I ADORE posts like this because they are real and relatable (that's not a word) and FUN-NY! Oh, you handled it like a champ. I especially love the action shot of the spilling soup onto the floor. Josh reads some blogs that I follow and one of his complaints is that some seem "so contrived". Your would NEVER fall into that category. You can't make this motherhood stuff up!

Amberly said...

Thanks for the well wishes.

I enjoyed peeking into your reality on this post. Being the mother of a child in a 'tantrumy' phase is not all happy times. I am impressed that you pulled out the camera. I bet you were almost gleeful as you took each blog worthy picture. Nicely done.

Oh and we have a pair of cozy footie pjs at our house too. Carter wanted them because his friend had some. The first 3 times he put them on they only stayed on for 30 minutes tops. They were too hot he said. Now he loves them and they are too small and look ridiculous and have a rip on the leg. I bet if I buy a new pair that fits properly he won't like them.

kir said...

Brody will love this post in years to come--what a wonderful dramatic montage for his scrapbook/ wedding video!! One of my all-time favorite moments (and it was waaay longer than one, two, or three moments) was when Mr. Curtis (who, by the way, is way past this stage now) was 3-ish and something rubbed him the wrong way and what started out as crying turned into wailing turned into the melodic sound of gears on a car shifting, going progressively higher and then lower. He just kept rolling around under the table with his magical sounds--what else could be done, but to grab the camcorder (although time was most certainly not of the essence--he kept it going for quite awhile) and document it all on film??
Have a great night and while you're at it, ask Brody for a cookie...
--soso-Kir