Wednesday, February 25, 2009

10 tidbits...Ricks College

I really did enjoy my Rexburg experience. I'm glad it's in the past but fun none the less.

1.Freshman year I was totally homesick (shocker). I remember sitting in our blue suburban with my mom and checking into my apt. building, not yet feeling the college vibe. An older and quite "awkward" looking gal walked past our car and I said, "I'm really hoping she's not a student." Found my way up to my apt. and there she was sitting on the couch cracking walnuts with a literal nut cracker. "Hey roomie!"

2. So thankful I paid for my own room that year. 5 ladies in that humble little apt. Had 2 quiet, shy, timid, and totally sweet roommates from Idaho in one room, and a loud wacky roommate from Montana rooming with the "nut cracker"-she shall remain nameless.

3. "Nut Cracker" was 24 at that time and had already graduated once from Ricks but decided to get another degree. I didn't know that was possible but whatever. She was an artist who LOVED trolls, wizards, vampires (in drawings , books and especially figurine form) shawls, Madonna boots, t.v., cartoons, not washing her sheets, McGyver, sleeping through class, and boiled liver.

4. 1 of only 2 roommate squabbles I ever had in all my college years was over her spilling and leaving liver juice/blood on the kitchen floor. -"No nut cracker that's not koolaid, we all saw the dripping. Please stop watching Pokemon and come clean it up."

5. My 2nd year was sooo much better. I didn't enjoy racing a certain roommate home during our lunch hour to see who would claim victory over the t.v. for that tiny window of time. My show of choice...classic "Name That Tune" she would purposely watch "Murphy Brown" -now I ask you...who ever watched that show? Especially after she famously had a baby out of wedlock?

6. Roommate mentioned in tidbit 5 was also the only other roommate I ever had a minor squabble with. Issue-please clean out your jet black curly hair from the shower drain, I don't enjoy bathing with it.

7. Favorite classes: Public speaking, Sign Language, and Film Art.
I'm a weirdie that actually enjoys speaking, giving lessons, and teaching. Awesome teacher+fun people=fun class. I gave a "how to" speech on "how to make a batch of Jiffy muffins." I scored big with that one. I was honored with the "Best lip reader" award in Sign language. And film art was just cool. We watched a total variety of movies and had to research all sorts of cool facts and aspects of each. Just an interesting class that taught me sweet nuggets of info like what a "montage" was and that in the classic "Singing in the Rain" ...the rain is milk....because it showed up better on screen.

8.Fell asleep regularly in the library.

9. Went horseback riding in the sand dunes with my biology class. Such sore buns....awe man.

10. Received my very first ticket about 1 mile from the Rexburg exit. I was driving my dear friend Emily's car that was packed to the max back from a crazy weekend at home in Washington. It's a looong drive and we were both so tired. Emily managed to make it to Burley but was literally dozing off at the wheel. I was exhausted as well but would rather not crash so it was my turn once again. We saw the lights of Rexburg.......the sweet sounds of Sade's "smooth operator" were serenading our arrival home, we've made it. Mr. Police man came out of no where, was so not necessary and so not very nice. I pleaded my case and said we were literally driving straight home... it had been a very long day blah blah blah. He lectured me on the dangers of driving while tired and proceeded to hand me a hefty ticket. Not cool.

Next up:Utah State

12 comments:

Amy said...

The Nutcracker had me almost wet my pants. Oh, heavens. I didn't even know you then, but man, those sound like great times! Utah State HEY Aggies all the way!

Emily Kern said...

I loved your roomies! Lots of fun conversation fodder! Sorry about the ticket...That was a sleepy trip. We did manage to pack A LOT of stuff in that teeny tiny nissan, especially the trip home, remember that? how we were sitting on folded up blankets and pillows because there was no where else to put them and our heads were touching the ceiling? But we did fit my wedding dress, so all was well...Good times, good times!

kir said...

Ok, so none of my Rexburg roomies at liver regularly, but there was the standard "non-washer of HER dishes" which correlated somewhat with the non-washing of her ONE bath towel--eeewww!! I think it was about 2/3 of the way thru the first semester that Cousin Ali and I took matters into our own hands and confiscated and then laundered that very towel--this was way more for Ali's and my benefit, the stench eminating from the "towel area" became downright offensive.
And wow, a genuine nutcracker? How could I have forgotten about that one? That is not something that is generally appears on the "things to get for college" list...

kir said...

Yes, I did mean ATE liver regularly, not at liver--oops...

Janeen said...

Oh my heavens! Thanks for the memories! You totally brought me back to “Ricks”. Loved it! I do believe that everyone has the one roommate that will always leave a lasting impression! hehehe!

jessica said...

My "Nut-Cracker" roomie was a girl from tiny town Utah and was constantly calling our FHE brothers over to cast out evil spirits.

I am a wierdo who likes to public speak and give lessons too. BTW...what ward are you in?

jessica said...

Yes we got snow..grrr. I am soooo done with winter.

How long have you lived in Enumclaw? I know exactly where that is. Do you by chance know Mike and Ross-Anne Pearson? Had to ask...the world is seems so small these days.

libbie said...

AHHHHHHHAAAAA HHHAAAAAAA HA HA!! I can't stop laughing about Nutcracker! How did you get so lucky? Who eats boiled liver except maybe cats? Who?

Alison said...

Gotta love those Ricks memories! =) Fun times for sure!
Kir and I also had issues with a certain roommate not bathing often enough...I think it was her towel Kir spoke of. Did you remember meeting Kirby? (was that his name?) That was one wierd dude.
Oh I could go on and on...but oh fun times!

kir said...

This is totally for Ali's benefit--it was CORBY!! and oh yes, I remember it well...

Stephanie said...

Liver Juice???? Ewwwwe! She sounds like one of those 'unforgettable ' roommates. I can't wait to hear about the USU times.

Erin said...

i love you ricks post! I love all the descriptions...we've all had a nut cracker as a roommate. I love that you got your first ticket there...me too... and my second....whooooooops. Great memories there.
I have been brought up to speed with your little fetus and we are sending you postive thoughts and are praying for this little one. Im thrilled you are getting bows, tights, and shoes ready cause all girls need that. Love it. You are so cute.