Thursday, September 18, 2008

Feeling the guilt

No pictures, just admission.

A few weeks ago at Cole's dr. appt. we sat and sat and sat and sat, waiting to be seen. Cole had the leapster, I read a semi interesting magazine I had never heard of before. It was an issue dated waaaaay back to 2006. I found a yummy recipe inside. I gently tore it out, and took it home. I have even used it twice.

Today at Target in the parking lot, I sat Cole (4 1/2 mind you) in the cart. I turned to get Brody out of his car seat and was mortified as I turned back around and watched Cole slowly rolling away. I ran...I must have looked so sweet, but to no avail... he made contact with another vehicle. VERY slow contact but contact none the less. I verbalized a little " ahhh man" out loud and then looked inside to see if anyone was in the vehicle. No one, no damage. Do I leave a note? " Hi, I'm a retarded mother who left her 4 1/2 yr. old in a shopping cart on a semi-wet day and the semi-wet pavement sent my shopping cart rolling into your vehicle. Call me! " - I chose not to leave a note. I left the scene. A hit and run. Sorry rusty red, worn down Ford Expedition. We all proceeded into the store and bought unnecessary items.

I have felt bad for both incidents. I have come clean. I feel better now.

3 comments:

Janeen said...

I have had a run away cart before. My kids seem to do the most damage with their car doors opening into other vehicles. Theirs been no damage yet so far, but it always happens when the owner of the other vehicles is in their car. Needless enough to say I have had to have the “we don’t use those words” talk one to many times! I do miss the days of my van when I would just press a button and the door would slide open and out they would hop.

Now I have made the rule if there is anything parked next to us then I open the door. I must say I feel your pain.

kir said...

I love you, Kari...
-xoxo, Kir

Amy said...

I read this post earlier today. This evening I went to the store alone (chorus of angels sing) to return a red box movie. Oh, DON'T rent Made of Honor - two thumbs DOWN. Anyway, this mom was struggling to get her daughter into her car seat, while at the same time, keep her cart from running away. It's happened to all of us! So, I remembered your post and quickly ran over and said, "Let me take that cart for you!" She smiled and thanked me profusely. Good times.

No need to leave a note if there's no damage. Knowing some people, they'll make your insurance pay for every ding and scratch on their old rusty car!