Sunday, March 21, 2010

Finding something to smile about...

It's Sunday night and I've successfully avoided eating the bowl of cereal I've been craving for the last 2 hours. That's right... now that is something to smile about.



Kids in St. Patty's day green, expressing St. Patty's day love and eating St. Patty's day green jello...I can smile about that too.


Katie cutie smiling on cue...then puking....I'll smile for that.



Trying her first bites of ice cream......come on.....!
Wrapping my mind around the disgraceful sham that is "Obamacare," I cannot smile about. I'm a political junkie. I always have been. This past week for 3 straight days I called congressman after congressman who were supposedly "on the fence" about where their vote would lie. I got through to a majority of offices and expressed my heartfelt opinions with firmness, yet I still was polite. I kept updated reading all sorts of news blogs, tracked vote tallies and called those congressman who could potentially save America from this mess. I did tell the aide to congressman Gordon from TN (who voted "No" last time on the bill and switched to "Yes" after his state was promised millions in medicare money to build new hospitals...hmmm) that he should really help the congressman find or grow -either one- a backbone. He just chuckled. I didn't find it very amusing.
Ya know, I probably made 100 phone calls over those 3 days. Over and over again, one office of obscure congressman after another, busy signals galore. I had my phone numbers with a list of enormous concerns. This could not happen and I had to do something. America is a nation of individual freedom and personal liberty not government run anything. Obama promised a "transformation of America" on the campaign trail- and with enough corruption, lying, rule bending, stealing, and threatening.....the transformation has begun. And it can be ours for just $940 billion dollars. Is that where the latest CBO #s are at.....$940? I don't even know how many zeroes that is?! Awful, just awful.
-Side note: Not only did I call pathetic congressman after pathetic congressman this week, I also threw caution to the wind and called into a certain nationally syndicated radio show which sounds a lot like Fawn Pannity.... to talk healthcare. Aren't I exciting? I knew I would never get
through so when his producer answered the phone I was speechless. She said that he was all full for the day and took my number so I could be on the next day. Well how about that?! I called my sister immediately to discuss exactly what I was going to say. I had the night to stew about it and hopefully formulate something coherent to discuss.
Fast forward to the next morning. Very polite producer calls my cell phone and says, "I will call you in 45 minutes." Awesome. I'm really going to make my talk radio debut on this very day. I go fold a load of laundry to keep my mind on the prize....45 minutes....o.k. I then of course call my very favorite sister to share the news....."Fawn Pannity's producer called and is calling back in 45 minutes." We go over what I should say, the latest from DC and other juicy tidbits from our fascinating lives.
From here can I just say 2 things:
#1- I have never figured out how to retrieve incoming calls on my cell phone....probably should have.
#2- I wasn't a good steward of my time
Yes.. yes indeed, while talking to said favorite sister, phone beeps once and goes directly to voicemail.
This is what I heard: "Hi Kari, Linda from Fawn Pannity trying to reach you....." click.
Yes, I was talking healthcare and the Fawn Pannity show on the other line with my sister and missed the call.
So I did what any other normal gal would do, I went to the mall and purchased anti bacterial soap and a candle that smelled divine. I also popped into the Tmobile store to find out how exactly I could have accepted producer Linda's call. Well all be, that application was never activated on my phone. "That's crazy!" said the energetic T mobile worker. Awesome.
What's crazy is that I STILL have not eaten that bowl of cereal (ugh, Kirkland Macadamia Nut Cranberry cereal with natural flavors) and I am going to bed hungry. Yea for self control. Now, please excuse me while I go snuggle up in bed with some DVRd "Celebrity Apprentice." I can take no more Obama. I'm choosing Brett Michaels and his glorious and greasy headband tonight.





5 comments:

Amy said...

I feel like I'm in mourning this morning. As I was feeding my kids breakfast, I wondered how the hee haw they were going to pay for these "decisions" when they get big. Talk about the boy trying to pay for a bike with $1.73. Your kids are sure cute, though. Go you for avoiding the cereal - I would have eaten a whole sleeve of GS cookies. And that's why I'm 20 lbs over. Maybe Obamacare can help me out?

Cassie Jensen said...

Keep smiling. We have a few years to hopefully turn this monstrosity around! Remember: wait. I really don't have anything witty or comforting to say about this mess he's put us in. Sorry for not being more of a help. But, seriously, I still owe you lunch. Does that help?

kir said...

I know I'm no Fawn Pannity/ Lawn Wannity/ Wawn Bannity (I could do this all day) producer, but so far I've been super good at keeping you away from your date with radio destiny, and I really am sooooooooo sorry about that. Perhaps producer Linda now has you on her speed dial and will call you yet again??
Always a solid move to get you some sweet smells from Bath and Body Works, and you'll want to use that anti bacterial magic after viewing Bret Michaels and his greasy headband--I mean, he said he did 3 seasons of "Rock of Love" and he knows how reality tv works...

Proud of my sis...
-xo-Kir

Emily Kern said...

Such a sad thing...your dashed dreams of speaking to America with Fawn, yes...but even more sad is that this crap heap passed. Boo, I say. Thanks for your valiant effort, and here's to a few spineless ex-"representatives" come November.

Amberly said...

Can I just say I LOVED this story and your dedication to expressing your (VERY valid) opinion! Too bad there weren't two happier endings.

Oh, and the swearing horse feeding story made me giggle.