Friday, March 26, 2010

Christmas in March....







This was Jack's smiling giddy face on Christmas morning. His pearly almost eight year old off whites were on display for all to see. This morning, I saw those big smiley teeth again. But it wasn't Christmas. It's March 26 you see and Kyle is out of town. I therefor have the extreme privilege of being the sole provider of food for Chance the wonder pony.

The horse really is a sweet animal. Key word in that sentence....animal. I don't do well with animals in general. It's just not my thing. Especially the ones that are young, hyper, hungry, and weigh....oh, say, 850-900 lbs. I had been trained in the ways of the horse feeding force by Kyle before he left. Just stick the hay in the top of the feeder so it stays clean. Well the feeder is in his little barn which is obviously in his personal space.

It rained sideways last night so the ground was soppy wet and his pasture was just mud and poo. That's right, mud and poo. Two more of my very favorite things. Especially when you combine that with a 850-900 lb animal.

I entered his "space" with positive thoughts and determination (they sense fear ya know) to just get the hay out of the storage side and into his feeder without him eating it right out of my hands. Well, that didn't exactly happen and the hay began to break apart..into the mud/poo mixture, a big no no. "Ah, crap" "ah crap" it's fallin everywhere...Chance the wonder pony is now in MY space sensing all my fears and eating the hay. Jack now comes out to "help" and it's just nervous nelly me trying to salvage the morning feeding. My last straw (literally) was when I grabbed a pile off the barn floor to put in the feeder (which is over my head) and half the pile disintegrated into my hair. It was awesome. It was then that I unintentionally and very unfortunately let a forbidden word in our house fly. And yes, it was immediately heard by this guy:
....who immediately went in with this face to tell....
this guy.
It was FANtastic!! Christmas morning all over again, minus the legos.

3 comments:

Emily Kern said...

Three things: 1) That is quite a story!! 2) Aren't animals fun? 3)What did you say? (If it makes you feel any better, it is probably part of the everyday vocab at the Kern house.)

jessica said...

I am so not an animal person. I hate poo of any kind.

Molly said...

what an adventure! I am proud of you for going outside of your comfort zone to take care of the pony. As far as your frustrations....I hear ya! As usual, I enjoyed your retelling of the events.