Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rethinking past purchases and the Hives incident

I have always wanted a girl. Ever since I can remember I have envisioned myself with at least one daughter. Incidentally, during all those years of "envisioning" I was also purchasing various clothing items that were at the time- "too cute to pass up"- Poor Kyle. I fully admit that before I was even married I had a smaller sized bag containing little girlie items that I had collected here and there over the years......hoping to use one day. So as Jack came along, then Cole, then Brody...my bag of girlie stuff seemed a bit useless. Useless U-N-T-I-L.......I pulled out this little antique from Gymboree circa...oh, maybe 1998!! Can you hear it.....the circus, the circus has come to town! I remember at the time thinking that this frilly yellow get up was just to-die-for. Who wouldn't want to snuggle up and sleep amongst the ruffles?? My cute little good sport clown Kate has worn this a few times so I can justify my idiotic purchase way back when.

Now on to this guy. Isn't that a pathetic face? Poor kid. This was my very first introduction into the lovely world of hives. These pictures really don't do it justice either. Long story short: We went sledding up in the mountains-Brody fell asleep in the car on the way home...Kyle puts him straight into his bed. He wakes up the next morning and as I'm dressing him for church notice a few splotchy spots on his body. Hmm. Go to church, return from church, nothing out of the ordinary. By 5:30 he comes downstairs and says that his ears hurt. Well by golly my ears would hurt too if they were as big and flat and red and stiff as his were. I took off all his clothes and he was covered. I felt like such a good mom...you know, really aware of her kids and all. So I call the nurse hotline and she asks:"Does he have swelling around his neck, face, head?" Well yea, his ears are gigantic and swollen and his face is starting to swell. She says I should bypass the insta-care (cause they are closing) and she would send me to the emergency room anyway with head swelling. Sweet! Kyle takes control at home and Brody and I head to the ER....the disgusting, inefficient, germ infested, ER. I don't know what was more awesome: Standing in line holding my swollen 3 year old for 40 minutes just to check in, Listening to the stoned with completely red blood shot eyes addict behind me talk to himself while snorting mucus every 10 seconds or so.....or......Having thee only triage nurse try to take Brody's temp. using an old school under your tongue takes 30 seconds thermometer with no success and then threaten (while he's screaming in her face) "If I can't take it hear I will have to insert it into your bah-dum...do you want that?" I asked if they ever considered using those speedy quick head scanning kinds...'no" was her response. Anyway, 3 hours and a $75 dollar co-pay later, it was determined that he had severe hives. Plan of action: go to the store-get Benadryl. Thanks doc.
So you live and learn. I've never been around hives before. I wouldn't have gone to the ER hadn't the nurse advised that any swelling on his face and head was bad news. All was well again with Brody by day 4. The hives are gone and we are thankful. The clown suit is still here and we're thankful for that as well

5 comments:

Amy said...

Love the outfit and the bum ruffle. I wish I could rush over to Gymboree now and buy Eliza one! I love Brody's chocolate brown eyes, but those hives look miserable! Ben broke out like that once. I called the nurse and she prescribed Benadryl as well. She said 90% of all kids' hives outbreaks are for unknown causes. The ER is horrid. I hope to never visit there again. What is it about that place? They are germy and seem to be full of incompetent nurses! Sorry, but it's true. Glad everyone is on the mend! Love your blog!

Cassie Jensen said...

You should have called! We would have told you Benadryl AND that the ER is yucky. I'm glad Brody is feeling better now. And, I do believe that at least 2 of my girls romped-a-plenty in various ruffle-bummed outfits. So cute! So 1990's, but so cute. Good for you for using it anyway. Hope to see you guys soon!

Emily Kern said...

I look back on what I dressed Jessica in and laugh a little. Ok, a lot. There was this little Easter number that was ADORABLE (currently, I would classify it as hideous) and the real topper-offer was that it had a matching hair bow that had the sweetest little resin bunny nestled amongst the ribbon. I really love it when people buy terrible outfits and you just can't take those back! SOOO...there is the obligatory wearing of said ugly outfit so no one will have their feelings hurt. Sorry about Brody's hives. Jessica gets them too. They just show up randomly and jump all around her body. It is loads of fun!

kir said...

I was hoping that for Little Miss Kate's sake you happened to purchase the yellow ruffley number in multiple sizes, so that when she grows out of that one you can keep the good look going??
Proud of Brody for being a trooper and proud of his mom for fixing his ears, and knees, and nose, and all those red spots--thanks Benadryl...

Angie Penrose said...

LOVE the yellow circus outfit. haha! too funny