Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Postcard from Maui

I know seeing pictures from my vacation aren't at all thrilling to most of you. However, these pics absoLUTEly thrill my sister who has been waiting with baited breath to see the trip-so my deepest apologies to anyone who is currently yawning or eye rolling.


The CAR: My bro-in-law got a "sweet deal" on convertibles, so this was our ride. Consequently, I got "sweet hair" each day.

The HOTEL: This was the view from our balcony. So fantastic to wake up to each day. The sink faucet was also thrilling, check it out.








The LUAU: Saw WAAAY too much of this guy. The raciest luau I have ever seen, yikes! Where's the good 'ole fashioned grass skirts, even for the fellas?








The SHAVE ICE: By far the best treat on the island. It looks like we were feasting off straight ice but noooo,that was just the delectable coconut and pina colada flavoring. We practically drove the whole island comparing shave ice joints. We have our priorities!


The TROPICAL PLANTATION:
Such a cool place. We were lucky to hit the last tour of the day. Our little group of 4 got our own personal trip through the plantation. Anything tropical that we eat, love to look at, or smell...was growing here...gorgeous.
-Mark and Kyle trying freshly opened coconut flesh. It was so good.
Apple banana trees.
Behold the STAR FRUIT TREE.
One of the unexpected benefits of arriving at the last tour time was random fresh fruit sampling courtesy of our worn out tour guide.








Some people tip toe through tulips, we did the coffee fields.

The giant scoop that collects all the sugar cane after its been burned and ready to harvest.





The SNORKELING: I'm not a huge fan of ocean swimming. Pool swimming ..YEA...ocean swimming...BOO! Anyway, I took one for the team and went out to explore just for a little while. Seeing an incredible Sea Turtle made my efforts worth it. And yes, he was 100 years old.


The FOOD: I love to eat. I love to cook. I don't usually eat OR cook anything like this, so this vacation was most enjoyable. On the menu this fine evening-grilled Ono and Mahi Mahi in some fantastic vanilla-ginger sauce with the coolest mixture of veggies...beets, peppers, green beans. I LOVED it!

And for dessert, ice cream sandwiches with hot fudge and raspberry sauce.






The ROAD TO HANA: They say the "Road to Hana" is a must. I beg to differ. Hana is the tiny little town on the other side of Maui. It takes a good 2 1/2 hours of one laned bridged roads that twist and turn over and over and over again. The sites along the way are gorgeous ie: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon bamboo fields, old rock churches in tiny old school villages, and crashing waves against lava rocks. The coolest thing we saw when we FINALLY got there was a beautifully maintained green with white shudders and porch -building that I thought must be a community center of some sort. It did my heart proud to see the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" sign outside the door.


I'm glad we did it, but next time (I highly doubt it)we'll leave with a FULL tank of gas and without the keys to Mark's car in OUR glove box. So,
so Sorry about that one.
The ZIPLINE:
I being of sound mind decided against attaching myself to a wedgie inducing harness- attached to a simple cable and flying through the air hundreds of feet above the ground. No thanks. The pictures would have been WAY cooler if my camera was WAY faster. Still fun to watch, still no desire to try it.








Overall, fantastic trip, fantastic company and can't wait to take our kids one day. Big thanks to my amazing in-laws who watched and loved our boys ALL week. It was so nice to not worry and actually relax and enjoy myself. We've finally climatized and traded out all short sleeves for turtlenecks. Till next season my dear flip flops.















































































































































6 comments:

Tfamily said...

Yeah, I was holding a grudge about us putting our keys in your glove compartment without you knowing and you driving off. The nerve! But all is forgiven since you gave me that really cute apron. Yes I can be bought.

yennu said...

Fun, Fun, Fun, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I'm so glad to hear you had a great time, not that I was worried otherwise. We missed you here - glad you're home.

kir said...

Your sister has been eagerly anticipating the photographic documentation of your journey to paradise!! Fabulous pictures, sorry about the skanky luau-whatever did happen to "Tiny Bubbles" or even the "Hawaiin Wedding Song" (especially when sung by Elvis, as featured on my own wedding video)??
I am crazy about the tropical plantation (dalmation plantation-that's for you, Kyle)!! How cool, and a sea turtle to boot, awesome!!
For the record, I'm a big fan of other people doing things like zip lines and such, but I would absolutely be sitting right next to you, as a cheering/ nervous observer!!
Aloha and Mahalo!!
-xoxo-Kir

Cassie Jensen said...

I would have done the zip line (sweating, crying even perhaps) but I'm so glad you guys had an awesome time! There's nothing to wipe away guilt like paradise!

Tfamily said...

Don't let Kari fool you. She was really taken by Mr. luau guy who was making sexy faces to the ladies in the front row. It's a shame we were sitting so far back. I think he must have sampled the Mai Tai's before the show began. I kept thinking, are we at chip n dales or a luau.

Molly said...

I love to see great travel pictures! I've never been to Maui before, so thanks for the good advice. You guys were so smart to get married in the fall---great travel deals abound!
Your Envious Friend loves you!