Thursday, August 7, 2008

Timmmberrrrrrr

I am one who is - #1 -easily amused and #2- appreciates jobs that I wouldn't do even if they paid me enormous amounts of money. ie:skyscraper window washer, telephone pole fixer person, bridge maintenance worker, Goodyear blimp driver....you see where I'm going with this?!



So you could imagine my utter delight yesterday morning when I woke up to this free show outside my window. The neighbor in back of us was obviously so over their gigantor tree that they decided it must come down. I found this process fascinating. My camera doesn't give the whole thing justice....this guy in his spikey shoes and saw on a rope, was amazing and so quick. I raised up the blinds for a full view of the whole process. I couldn't tell if Mr. lumber jack was watching me watch him - that would have been awkward. I had to be sly with the camera and tried my best for a falling branch"action" shot. I sat mesmerized and clammy just thinking about how high he was. Would the tree start to fall over with him still attached? It was getting pretty skinny up there...I've seen cartoons, big people and bears make skinny tree tops fall over.
It was crazy. Before I knew it.....he cut the whole top off and then worked his way down, cutting about 6 ft pieces at a time. Go figure.
Now my majestic view of Mr. Rainier is even better. Thanks neighbor and death defying lumber jack for a great show, I was amused!





3 comments:

Emily Kern said...

What a beautiful view! I just love Washington! Have you seen axmen on the History Channel? Its full of amazing feats such as this and also features plenty of bleeped out bad words.

kir said...

i think "easy amusement" could be a genetic trait, because I would have had my blinds pulled up, as well with my camera in hand and my breath held, thinking of cartoon bears up on skinny trees (we've totally seen the same cartoons)!! So glad about the positive outcome (for the logger, not necessarily the tree, unless it had some sort of tree disease or it was too close to a power line or some other something- the circle of life and all that...??)
-xoxo-Kir

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

You must always have your camera close by - I always think later that I should have had my camera.