Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Irks for the day



So the above photo spread has ZERO to do with my post. However, it makes me smile! Eeven though he's fresh outta bed, crusties are still in his eyes, and I'm sure his diaper hadn't even been changed ,I still think he's a doll. He thought he was clever and I appreciated his humor. Come on...would you have thought to hide your bowl up there??? O.k., on with my thoughts:
I'm a happy positive person. I enjoy smiling, find that laughing is fun, and overall believe that life is good. Plus, my cup is always 1/2 full (preferably of root beer). Sometimes however I just want to vent. Since my darling friend came and got Cole (who doesn't realize that there is only few precious moments of quiet computer time when Brody naps and thus we compete for those moments)for a play date, the computer is mine and I can blog my irks for the day and be done with them! UGH!
And now I as I think about what is "irking" me, they seem so silly, totally my fault just stupid stuff:
Irk #1- I buy the 7oo minute phone cards from Costco- I use them to call my sister (of course) long distance. I had 2 of them in the drawer. One I KNEW was virtually brand new, the other 5 minutes or so left. As I sat and thought, "hmm, which is which" I pulled out the scissors....WHY, I don't know. It wasn't a VISA, I wasn't stopping myself from crazy spending, it was habit I guess. Chop chop and in the trash. Well as I was talking with the sister last night after about 5 minutes the lovely operator on the line says, "I'm sorry but the balance on this card is out!" -AHHHHHH, I cut up the phone card with 687 minutes on it! So lame, uuuuuggghhhhhh.


Irk#2-Every year I have a gorgeous hanging basket in my front yard. Each fall after it is done being gorgeous, I empty the pot, take it back to the nursery and give them my "wish list" of lovely flowers for next years pot. I was not born with any sort of "green thumb" so this basket is my one and only outdoor responsibility. It was a pretty penny to begin with so I take very good care of it. For some reason this year I simply forgot to take my empty pot into the nursery...until April. I didn't realize this was a cardinal sin but it was and the nice gal informed me that my pot may be "small" this year. Ah man...! Thanks for filling it anyway lady. Fast forward to today, went and picked her up. Now remember visions of a "RAINBOW" basket have been dancing in my head, Reds, Whites, yellows, oranges, pinks, blues........expensive bakset.......!
It contains TWO colors: Purple and Yellow.

Nothing wrong with the colors....I was just hoping for the other members of the RAINBOW! - UUGGHHHHHH!
Irk #3- I know children can't help when they are sick. I realize how NOT Fun being sick is. That being said, I am on day #3 of picking Jack up from school. Monday he posted a 100.3 temp. Tues. I took him to school at noon, and today he's got a 100.6 temp. Go figure. The sweet nurse tech must think I'm a moron but seriously he was fine last night and even could stomach "sugar cereal" this morning. I had ALL the icky sheets/ blankets washed and thought we were done. Now I've busted out the hideous "sick" sheet (it seriously has the worst western pattern on it, I've banned it from any mattress) to drape over the couch and begin yet another round as a nurse maid. I just have things on my "to do" list that I can't "do" with a sicky at home. UUGghhhhhh!
O.K.- I'm done , thanks for that. I feel so much better. So after I heal Jack, I need to go water my hanging basket then head to Costco for a phone card :)

Did you have any "irks " today? Please share..it's therapeutic!

6 comments:

Elisabeth said...

You've had a rough "sick" year....suprised it wasn't Cole! I hope you find some relief, and we'll bring you a red flower one day to add to your purple and yellow!!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing your irks. I'm especially sorry about the sick kids and the calling card - awe, man! Any way you could puzzle the thing back together to get the numbers, or was it thrown away?

My irks for today are:
1.) My hair is an absolute mess and needs to be cut and colored (I'm going gray), but there's no money in the budget and no time on the calender.

2.) One of the ladies I visit teach is impossible to contact. Honestly, the woman NEVER returns calls or answers the phone. How am I supposed to "visit" her, if I can never get a hold of her?

3.) My kids are a demo crew and keep messing up the rooms I JUST cleaned. Grrrr.

THank you. The end.

Cassie Jensen said...

So sorry about the irks. I hope today is going better than yesterday! I don't know if my irks are really irks or just me being stubborn and cranky! But can the bball parent booster club please start their meeting on time and actually accomplish something in a reasonable amount of time!? Am I the only one who has attended a church meeting run by the book/by the minute/by the spirit?!) And I'm sure I will never, ever again find even 20 minutes in the day for a nap of any sort. And why, oh why, does my family have to live so far away that air fare costs as much as retirement!

But I am trying to see the silver lining- after the lame meeting last night, making it down to the H.S. auditorium in Sumner in 8 minutes flat, finding a parking spot all the way behind the pool and running at a sprint they whole way around to the door, I made it to my seat with 55 seconds to spare! And, to end the night on a high note, the Kindergarten/first grade program ended in 30 minutes flat! I know the second round of exuberent applause was solely for that reason!

And even though "they" claimed we would wake up to bright sunshine and I am sitting under a cloud the size of this great northwest, I am semi-hopeful that perhaps it might burn off today.

My son woke up an hour earlier than usual/Lowe's is still causing traffic chaos each morning at bus stop time, but I went to my workout for day #9 in a row!

So, even though we can't see the thin silver lining, it is there. But it wouldn't look nearly so beautiful against a fluffy white cloud as it does against our dark and dreary ones! Have a better day!

yennu said...

Fun mother's post on Sunday. You do have a great mom and sister! Back to irks. . I'm with you on the mysterious illness. I never have to take my kids Dr. knock on wood, but Ava had a little cold on Sunday she complained of her throat and neck hurting, by Monday morning she was screeching and screaming and would not move her neck. She was crazy with pain. SO I called to get her in and come to find out all looks great, no infection of any kind. She must have pulled her neck muscle or something. She is favoring her neck a little, but really no big deal. Drama Queen!! What would we do without all of the irks in life?!

Emily Kern said...

My darling children love to dumpster dive. While I was tending to my sweet baby, they SHREDDED styrofoam (from the garbage) all over the upstairs. It was so bad, I couldn't even see the floor in much of the whole upstairs. It was even on the walls. So I gave them until I finished mowing the lawn to get it cleaned up, and of course that didn't happen, so they all went to bed very unhappy--and early. I was left to clean up that mess instead of what I really wanted to be doing...folding laundry. (It is an irk to me that the things I want to do are things like scrubbing toilets and folding laundry, those things are a bonus these days.) Anyway, when I went to vacuum, my vacuum that was just repaired is broken and I basicly had to sweep up the darn stuff. As I was cleaning it up, I just kept thinking that I should have taken a picture and made a blog about it. What would my title have been? I came up with "What have I done to deserve this?" and "I need a good stiff drink/beer". I've never had either one, but I think I might have deserved it at that point. RARRRRRR.

Alison said...

Kari-
So sorry to hear about the curret irks going on in your life...bluh! I'm irked right now after spending an hour on the phone with insurance co. Why don't they pay when they are supposed to? Drives me batty! But I do know I am blessed to have good insurance when they do finally figure out they are supposed to pay.