Monday, June 7, 2010

"Because it makes your mother happy...."


And with those 6 words....we were off to Spokane. Off to Spokane...WHY...you might ask?! Well, let me tell you that WE and I mean ALL 6 members of the Thomas crew left our humble abode at approximately 5:38 a.m. so we could cross thee entire state to make it for the 10:00 a.m opening time at the Farm Chicks gigantor antique/vintage sale at the fair grounds in Spokane. I adore shopping for antiques, not junky old lunch boxes but cool old pieces that mix with new stuff. It's fun and relaxing for me... visualizing where a piece could go in my house. I'd love to take an empty room with an endless budget and mix the old with the new. I was suuuuure hoping this was going to be worth it.
My good sports in the car. Everyone chose 2 movies, had leapsters, look and find books and treats a plenty. Notice that Kate's seat has been permanently moved to face forward. She was the least good sport and thus got to switch around and watch "Toy Story."

Jumping Jacks at the rest stop in the middle of nowhere. Kyle purchased homemade cinnamon rolls from the local boy scout troop selling goodies....by the bathrooms.....for a fundraiser. I probably would have opted for something a little less..."homemade by strangers" but hey, he was driving me 5 hours to find 'junk" so no complaints here.

Just trying to keep her content: playing the "What's in mom's camera case?" game.





We made it to the parking lot at a very impressive 9:54 a.m. What was not impressive was standing in this monstrous line.


3 VERY excited boys ready to navigate throngs of crazy ladies looking for rusty stuff.






Kate lasted about 10 minutes and was out for a good 1/2 hour. Kyle took the boys to eat and I was alone with this little lady to search. "Oh look at that...he's out cold!"
"Oh, his neck must hurt...good thing he's asleep...." "Oh, your little guy is tuckered out...." -Just a few of my favorite quotes during nap time. Now tell me, does she really look like a boy? Do boys wear strappy jumper tops with embroidered flowers? She takes out her hair bows........



It was seriously, painfully crowded which was a total bummer. People come from across the nation for this show and I think they were all there. I get real annoyed at large crowds so it took all my energy to keep a positive spin on this insane trip I planned. Kyle was an all star and camped out in the corner while I looked. You couldn't navigate 2 strollers and 4 kids without getting crustys a plenty so it was just easier to...well, stand in the corner. I left them the first time looking like this. By the time I got back.......



it looked a little more like this! JACK: "Why are we here...this is so dumb?!" And this was when my doll of a husband uttered the now infamous phrase: "Because it makes your mother happy!"
However, it was time to go.





We loaded my treasures (yes I found a few very cool things) and sat in the car drinking capri suns with dry diapers and feelin good!






We found a Red Robin on the way out of town and drank our troubles away/geared up for the almost 5 hour car ride back home.



Trip review:
Would I go again?
Only by myself or with Kyle.....it was almost torturous for my kids...almost.
Was it a good show?
I was bummed at how many people were there and how cut throat/kinda rude people were. Granted I had 4 kids in tow but still I would have loved to have searched all the booths but I simply couldn't get in...there were too many ladies and I was too packed with off spring.
Are you glad you made the trip...all those hours in the car?
It was fantastic family fun. The boys for the most part were just great. Jack and Brody each had separate break downs...Cole just wanted to know if it was time to go yet...and Kate just wanted to be held...the entire time..... especially in the car from about Vantage ALL the way home. Since Kyle has been known to fall asleep at the wheel I took over the helm in Moses Lake. He took a short nap and then when Kate's crying could no longer be avoided....he was up. He read to me as I drove, she cried, we ignored her, the boys played leapsters...... it was wonderful!
Favorite quote of the day... As we walked out of the show with treasures in hand a lady stopped our family and said, "Oh wow.....4 boys, look at that!"
It was awesome!
Speaking of awesome....getting pulled over on Snoqualmie Pass and having the nice patrol man remind me of all violations I was committing and all the money he' s saving me because he would only give me a warning...this time. I could only smile, nod, and apologize because you see...I was exhausted....I got up at 4:00 a.m. and took all 5 other members of my family to Spokane.... to an antique show...because it makes me happy!





































6 comments:

Cassie Jensen said...

Thought about you on Saturday! We had beautiful sunshine and walked the Lake Tapps garage sales. Doesn't sound nearly as crowded as your fun antiques trip. Maybe next year you can ask me to go for the long drive to Spokane. I promise I won't even cry while we're there! Can't wait to see your finds!

Amy said...

Awe, we are so close, but yet so far away from one another. We drove down to Lewiston to find a "beach"on Saturday, since it was so cold in Oregon. It didn't work out because the "beach" was a flooded, swift, river with no bank to it at all. We went to Costco and drowned our sorrows in pizza and churros.

Kate totally looks like a girl! Maybe you should buy her one of these: http://www.zazzle.com/im_a_girl_baby_onesie_tshirt-235928450308435001

Jack's face is priceless. Ugh, we've all been there! I can't wait to see your treasures and where you place them.

Natalie said...

Ohhh...I wanted to go to that too! But didn't want to make the drive. Maybe next year we can ditch the fams and go together! What awesome stuff to you get?

kir said...

So great for you to find out you actually have 4 boys, especially with floral motifs on the littlest one!! I can remember toting Baby Curtis around in his BLUE carseat while he was wearing something like NAVY BLUE and DARK GRAY with BASEBALLS or something else EQUALLY MASCULINE and a lady in the elevator asked me how old my little girl was. Really amazing insight and keen gender sense...
I love Miss Kate and I love her big bro, Jack, who totally made the blog with his little "episode"--I always thought 7-year-old boys loved driving far far away to antique shows. I'm not sure what his deal was??...
-xoxo-Kir

Emily Kern said...

Oh, I am so glad you went! I'll go with you next time! Love the synopsis, love all your little fellas (hee hee, NO she does NOT look like a boy!), and I am so happy you found some cool stuff. But my real question is this: What was playing on the radio when you got pulled over? Was it Smooth Operator? Hmmmm????

Alison said...

Seriously that is amazing! I love antiquing too...LOVE it but haven't been in probably 5 or 6 years for reasons you undertand. I think I need to jsut jump back in and try it because it would make me happy too! =)