Friday, November 20, 2009

Business of the day

This morning was one of those blur kinda mornings. For some reason Kate thought waking up at 4:40 was a good idea. I on the other hand thought letting her cry it out was a good idea. Instead I lay in bed and tried my hardest not to hear her for the next hour ( and then some) until it was useless-I finally had to get up to start the day. My niece was on her way over at 6:30 in the a.m. to catch a ride to school so Friday was up and running. Cold, dark, rainy, exhausted mornings are such a treat. My routine in the mornings are as follows:
-immediately put on work out clothes so there are no excuses
-get breakfast for boys
-make lunches
-take Jack to school
-come home workout before Kate arises
As I am doing all of these things I am constantly listening to my favorite talk radio hosts. Today was no different .......topic of utmost importance: the health care bill that is being shoved down our throats and tomorrow the senate is scheduled to vote. I won't bore you with all of my thoughts on the matter but my point is this. I have had the names and phone numbers of senate democrats on my counter this whole week. Each day that I heard something insanely maddening about what they were trying to do I wrote it down so I could remember that point. It was my goal to call every single democrat that was so called "on the fence" about the bill and voice my concern. Well this morning as I made pancakes for the youngins (with a sleep deprived headache)-I decided that I couldn't waste anymore time. I began dialing like a mad woman...1 202 224 5824-that my friends is senator Mary Landrieu's (of the great state of Louisiana) office #. Her number has been a busy signal all day long. Hmmm, I wonder why? On the fence huh? Do you think that slime ball majority leader Harry Reid buying her vote with a ONE HUNDRED MILLION dollar additional relief package for her state alone has anything to do with it? I continued though...all morning, all busy signals. Then finally a ring...and then an actual person, "Senator Kent Conrad's office please hold..." I was ON....I was nervous....what would I say? I looked over my notes and thought how this piddily phone clerk could care less about what I had to say but I had to say it. He came back on and I proceeded to plead with him on behalf of the majority of Americans who oppose this bill (and every poll will show that )to vote NO. Please tell senator Conrad who claims to be pro life that there is nothing positive about this disaster - especially federal funding for abortions that WILL remain in the bill no matter how the media tries to twist it. I asked him to vote on principle and not politics. He was polite and said with a little chuckle that they have received a lot of calls. I hope they have. I pray that it will make some sort of difference. In case you feel so inclined to drop Senator Kent Conrad (ND)a little ringy dingy his number is 1 202-224 -2043. He is one of 4 pro life democrats who are on the "fence" concerning abortion in this bill. I already heard that Ben Nelson of Nebraska has caved and will still vote yes. Insane. Maddening. Scary. So after feeling a little success in my dialing efforts and taking the kids to school it was time to work out my frustrations.


This is my favorite friend as of late. My sweet Kyle finally brought her in from the cold and heartless barn so we could re-connect. Do you see those little dots all over ....that's my sweat, and it felt reeeally good. Especially on days when your brain turns on at 4:40 a.m. and is constantly filled with crying, and lunch making, and bum wiping, and insane politicians, and fear for my country and wanting to make a difference. So on this day I went 3 miles which is huge for me. Thank you Earth, Wind, and Fire, Mary J. Blige, Hall and Oates, Pointer Sisters, Justin Timberlake, Rhianna, The Cure, New Order,Gwen Steffani and all my other Ipod peeps. My 'treadmill time' was much needed and much appreciated. Now, back to dialing, I have some senators to contact.

4 comments:

Emily Kern said...

They are voting tomorrow?!?! I have been so out of it the last couple of days, I have missed so much. I am so proud of you! Are their offices open tomorrow? I am sick. Just sick.

kir said...

Right on, sista...

Heather said...

Yea!!!! Way to go! I'm glad you're on my side... :)

jessica said...

Oh I TOTALLY would have called had I read this sooner!!! MY husband is from ND and I lived there for two years...I'm sure I could've influenced him...

I'm jealous of your treadmill. Even though I would rather run outside, living in this climate doesn't lend to much outdoor running for the next..oh...five months!