Wednesday, February 27, 2008

No to the sleepover


I have never been a fan of the "sleepover." Even as a little girl I would be invited to parties and if they included a sleepover, it was a no-go for me. I just always felt obviously more comfortable in my own house. I decided to just try the whole sleepover deal ONE unfortunate time in the 2nd grade. Natasha had been inviting me for weeks and I finally decided to go for it. My mom had given me every lecture and pep talk and I felt ready. All I remember was eating an enormous amount of skittles (her dad was a candy machine vendor and had had a jackpot at the skittle convention or something) and her ...brothers..grumpy, rude, yucky older brothers!

They were mean boys..old mean boys about 13 and 15....old. They reminded me of Eddie Haskel...smirky like that too. I was scared of them (being 8) and I didn't want them around. I remember walking down the hall past their room and saw lady posters...in ...bikinis. Even at 8 I gave a huge eyeroll at their lameness and walked on..still scared. We tucked into their hide-away-bed (remember those?-so cool) so we could watch movies and I remember Travis came out and sneered at us with a warning that if anyone touches his alarm clock...all he-- would break loose.
Two things- why his alarm clock was in the family room, I don't know. And yes, In the wee hours of oh, say 11:00, I tripped over the cord and the alarm clock came out of the wall. Yes, I know, a catastrophe. Well, her brother stormed out and gave me (freaked out 8 year old) the business and I burst into tears. I summoned for Natasha's mom to take me home and yes, my sweet mom was waiting with open arms and a swift kick in the rear for Natasha's meany of a brother. I was done with sleepovers.

Why do I share this story...well, my Jack thinks maybe it's time to do sleepovers. He casually invited himself to a classmate's house to play so now I'm daily discussing playdate etiquette and cons of sleepovers. Unless it is with cousins or g-parents..not gonna happen. I just don't see the need to send my sweet boy to an unfamiliar house where bikini pictures, mean brothers, and skittles by the dozens are sure to be there.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I say thumbs-down to sleepovers, too. My mom let me go to them as an older Elem. school kid, but they were always filled with PG-13 movies, mean pranks, lame boy-talk and zero sleep = Crankypants Amy. I think they bring more trouble than they are worth.

Paige said...

Completely agree about the sleepover thing- my oldest is 7 and I just announce, sorry we don't do sleepovers! I've noticed girls are more obsessed with it though, and it's going to be tough when they get older and everyone else is doing. Only cousins and grandparents. I was a sleepover girl myself, and the tales I could tell about all the non-sleeping going on!

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Usually people hate political ones but I guess times are a' changin'.

kir said...

I remember the trauma of that sleepover nite well, stupid alarm clock...
Tell Jack to save his sleepovers for his cousins when he comes down for a summertime shindig. We do occasional "late-nights" with buds where they watch a movie or something very exciting like that until 10 pm or so and then time for everyone to be home asleep in their very own beds. Having 3 girls, I can attest to the fact that they are more obsessed about the "sleepover." Call me a control freak (whatever), but as the mom, I do like to think I have some control over show selection, prank ideas, etc., etc. It gets tricky when it seems like "everyone else" is doing it.
Call me tomorrow...
-xoxo-Kir

Stephanie said...

I'm with you on the sleepover thing. My Brooklyn has a friend whose MOM (for heaven's sake) keeps begging me for my Brookie to sleepover. No way, Jose. "Late overs" will be my solution when she's old enough, and 6 ain't old enough.

Steph