Thursday, June 2, 2011

The trip that turned out Mahvelous

Months ago I decided that our family needed to spend some quality time together.....just us. We WOULD go some where different/interesting/out of the ordinary and WOULD enjoy each other's company. I found suitable accommodations and by golly I booked them, right there on the spot. I talked up the trip months in advance..constantly reminding the crew that a bunch of fun was about to be had.
We packed the car with rubber boots, buckets, and a whole lotta skittles and headed down to Seaside!

Our house was a perfect block away from the beach. We enjoyed a hefty 6 minutes or so of beach fun before the rain began to mist.


Right after the mist turned into a downpour.....

We splurged on doughnuts for the walk home one night after dinner. The boys were absolutely thrilled... no forced sharing was involved.



I had seriously prayed for at least ONE day of sunshine so we could enjoy the beach. Thankfully Saturday of all days was gloriously perfect!




Perfect until Kate and ocean collided.


If you ever get the chance, be a complete tourist and rent one of these silly bike thingys. The kids will love you for it. However- don't wear a tank top under your long sleeved shirt with a fleece on top and wrap your chilly self in a scarf...you'll get real hot and sweaty as you pedal your ramshackle mobile with all your might, and your husband will make fun of you.



"My mom is #1 for making our family go on this awesome weekend trip!"


We explored the fabulous beach and collected pockets full of seashells....not to be confused with sunshine.
 A trip to the Oregon coast wouldn't be complete without a visit to the Tillamook Creamery where we learned all about the making and "cutting of the cheese!" -Thank you Jack.


And devoured  ice cream cones....

Little Lady was pretty much a travel champ in the car...


Classic..Brody and Kate were hilarious in their front row basket seat. Cole couldn't reach to help peddle at all and Jack kept stopping to "take a quick break." Hence sweaty mom.


2 thumbs up for Po!


And two thumbs WAY up for the fact that I caught all persons OVER  the age of 4 sitting and watching Thomas the Train as I came downstairs one morning.  I find moments like this very enjoyable. They on the other hand....not so much!

I'm proud of myself for planning this little adventure.  Much to the  Mr.'s slight dismay, I made the decision to make the effort to spend quality time together.  I had big plans that we would have big fun and that is exactly what we did.

4 comments:

Amy said...

We went to the seaside in May of last year. You were smart to at least wait a month. All of the locals grimaced and shook their heads when they learned it was our first trip there, "It's real nice in the summer!" It rained THEE entire time we were there. I'm glad you made the best of things and that it turned out mahvelous. Hooray for family trips!

libbie said...

Perfect. I love Seaside, and FAMILY time.

Molly Dukeman said...

I am proud of you! Looks like you did have some wonderful times together. I really like the picture of you and Kyle at the beach....beautiful couple. Seaside is one of my favorite places, so kudos to you for picking a dynamite local for family fun.

kir said...

Kate's, Brody's, Cole's, and Jack's mom IS #1 for taking the fam on such an awesome weekend getaway!!
What would you think about a fed flintstone/ Seaside ramshackle contraption for regular home/ neighborhood usage? Hmm...
xo-Kir