Wednesday, July 15, 2009

2 weeks and counting

To say that the last 2 weeks have been eventful is an understatement. In a nutshell the Thomas family of now six.... have:

-moved out of their home
-welcomed a newbie darling bundle of tiny pinkness
-moved into their grandparent's home for the summer
-forgotten all items that were "pre packed" for the move to use at grandma's ie: blow up pool, light sabers, plastic blue bin full of summer reading books etc. etc. etc.
-tried unsuccessfully to locate said items in storage barn...
-tried in vain to get newest member of the family to sleep longer than 2 hours at a time once the sun goes down
-not entered a grocery store(a beautiful benefit of having wonderful friends provide meals pre move and then a fantastic mother-in-law who has kept us fed every night.) It still feels weird to be out of my routine.
-become accustomed to the sights and sounds of "liquid gold" otherwise known as breast milk. Let it be known that I am not a breast feeder, it just never worked for me. The bottle on the other hand made me as the mother.....how shall I say it......much more pleasant. Since newbie little Kate is still so newbie I re-focused from day one and decided to try it one more time. In the meantime- modesty has become a little lacking around these parts. As the mother of 3 boys I tactfully explained that no, mom is not feeding Kate from her stomach..mom's use their CHEST and by golly boys have chests too, just not for feeding. Animals also have chests ..yadda yadda yadda. They all were slightly intrigued and now it's just commonplace. I'm proud of myself for sticking with it. An automatic pump is a beautiful invention!
-managed to stay somewhat sane in a new "closer" environment.


All in all I know I'm getting a little help from above to get through these next few months. The fact that I am still awake and alert enough to function all day is amazing. I truly hate the night time at this stage....it stinks to high heaven. The fact that I am still feeding her myself and not dying of pain is a miracle in itself. I CANNOT wait for my new house and space and all that excitement. In the meantime, I have the best situation possible. My in-laws are so thoughtful and kind and have welcomed all SIX of us loudy loud louds for the entire summer. Now if we could just find those light sabers.

6 comments:

Cassie Jensen said...

Hang in there, Kari! You're a trooper- and in the end, you will look back, giggle, sigh and know it was all worth it! Remember we are always here... give that little bundle of pinkness a squeeze from me!

jessica said...

Oh my heavens! I can't even believe you are able to post about all that!

First you must know I am not a breastfeeder. I'm pretty sure I skipped that line on purpose in the premortal life. I am a proud bottle feeder and I'll take anyone out who gives me a hard time about it. Don't get me wrong...I have a lot of respect for women that are able to do it, but for my sanity and the sanity of my husband and those close to me. I chose option #2 and never looked back.

I can't wait to see more pictures of that precious Kate!

Emily Kern said...

Wow! You really have squeezed a lot into you life right now! I say, heck...just head on over to target and get a new pool/books/lightsabers and save yourself some heartache. Some things just really aren't worth the hassle. As for breastfeeding, I really loved it with a few of my kids. Others, I did it simply (and by simply I mean with great difficulty) because they wouldn't take ANYTHING else and/or I couldn't afford the can of formula per day that the twins were going through. Your sweet little bundle will be fine whatever you do, you are a great mommy. I need to talk to you...I have a little gossiping to do. So how do I get a hold of you?

kir said...

Puh-lease, loudy loud louds?? How can that be with just 6 of you KThoms??
You're doing great and so sorry about the books, pool, jedi gear, etc. They'll all turn up in September, I'm sure...
-xoxo-Kir

Thomas family said...

Congrats to you! I will be thinking of you the next few months. I hope it all goes fast. The thing that would keep me going and enjoying the night feeding was the fact that in 20 years I would miss it. I am not sure if this is your last but It made it easier with Lane being my last. I just kept thinking I am never gonna do this again. I wanted to freeze the moment.:)

Amberly said...

Congratulations on sweet baby Kate!