Friday, July 11, 2008

Conversation in Costco

The following event included these 3 boys minus their father. This picture has nothing to do with it but I like it, so it will be used as an attention grabber and for child reference purposes if needed.

So we had our bi-monthly trip to Costco the other day. Nothing especially new or exciting. I used complete self control and did not purchase any : kitchen/bath magazines (30 % off...come on ), giant sticker books, enormous blocks of gouda cheese (realized I had purchased one last time), chocolate milk...we'll never finish it before it goes bad....I got what was on the list.


As I'm paying, I'm also checking out the line at the scrumptious Costco bistro, and grrrrrring to myself. I'm deciding which line was the quickest, making my game plan. I've held off the hungry fellas till AFTER we're done shopping cause the line was so long, but now.... I can hold them off no longer, it's go time.


We make our way to the bistro and I have Jack stand in line while I waited next to him with the cart containing Cole (amongst the toilet paper and green beans) and Brody, sitting up front. All is well until I turn around. The conversation went like this:


I will be K for Kari, crazy lady will be C for crazy lady.

I make eye contact and smile cause I am polite.

C:-"Wow, 2 boys...that's a lot"


K:-I'm thinking to myself ....2....2...what?.." Actually, there's 3 ." She looks in my cart and finds Cole from behind the tp. -Her eyes get real big


C:-"Oh wow, are those 2 twins?"


K:-"Nope, he's 6 and he's 4" -Jack is now looking at me wondering why I am talking to this crazy lady.


C:- Pointing at Brody-"Is he what...1?"


K:- "He's 19 months."


At this point I am scanning the menu acting like there are Sooooo many options and I just can't decide.


C:- "So is he (literally pointing to Brody) potty training now?"


K:- "Nooooo, he's 1, he's got a few more years." -The ever friendly Brody points back and their pointer fingers touch and she beams with delight.


C:- "Wow, he's a real flirt, he likes women."


K:- "Actually, he's a real finger pointer...he thinks it's a fun little game, even with men."


Uncomfortable silence for me.Praying that the line will go faster.


C:- "So what are you getting to eat, I get the chicken sandwich it is soooo good."


K:-"you know what, I think we're going for the usual cheese pizza and hot dog."


C:-"So your huband is at work while you watch the kids today?"


K:- "Yup, that's what we do everyday."


C:-"really?"


Almost our turn...we are next to order and she is hot on my heels.


C: "So are you going to have more kids?"


I'm constantly smiling at this point.. smiling and wishing it would all just go away and I could get my dog.


K:-Wondering who her mother is and why she didn't teach her daughter social skills.."Yea, we are, someday."


C:- "When, like soon, will you have another soon?"


K:-"You know, we'll see, I'm just having fun with these guys right now."


MY TURN TO ORDER, I proceed to the cashier.


C:" You gettin the chicken sandwich...it's so good?"


K;" No, stickin with the dogs and pizza!"


I get my order and quickly proceed to get all condiments/drinks/straws/napkins/ crazy pills and head to the exit. Jack is wondering why we aren't eating AT the bistro.I talk up the fantastic idea of a "picnic in the hot car" and that's that.
Question: Why do complete strangers...crazy or not, feel it is their business to ask about my reproductive schedule? I would never....eeeeewwwww, it's just not cool. I left crazy lady standing... chicken sandwich in hand, and never looked back!

Ever happend to you?

6 comments:

erin said...

Oh My Gosh!!!!! You are so polite. I am afraid of what might have escaped my not so nice mouth! I only ask my friends about their reproductive schedules...not complete strangers :-) At least you got something to blog about, right?

kir said...

Wow...again, wow!! Did you ask her to go to "awkward class" with you?? By the way, have you tried the chicken sandwich? I hear it's great when eaten in a rather warm car...

Cassie Jensen said...

All you can do is appreciate the fact that you are socially ept (I'm sure that is not a real word, but I can't think of a better term!) and that you have 3 great boys, and, who knows, maybe someday, 3 more! JK. But it is interesting that most Crazy Ladies are found in Costco or Sam's club. Why is that?

Emily Kern said...

At our class reunion when I was pregnant with the twins, Ryan T. kept commenting on my high rate of reproduction vs. his one child. About the 8th time, each time a little more inebriated, I lost my cool/class and told him that if he needed any pointers my husband would be glad to help him out. Crass, I know, but he did shut up. Now people find out I have six kids and ask if I am done and I say "Is six not enough for you?!?" Nervy idiots is all I have to say. By the way, I also just stick with the HDs and pizza. Cheap and oh, so delicious.

Janeen said...

I have to say I just really hope that I do not turn into one of those crazy ladies!

Molly said...

I love stupid people. I love stupid conversations. Why? A.)I can "replay" the conversations over a few times and enjoy a nice chuckle....guaranteed! B.) They don't catch my sarcasm. I'm ready to break out my yearbook and look for Ryan T.???