Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My deep thoughts on school pictures....

When I was in the first grade we lived with my grandparents in Utah for a few months while my dad solidified his new job up in Washington. It was such a fun adventure to literally be with my grandparents everyday, eat grandma's heavenly food, and the best part....we walked across the street to both church and school. Only in Utah. I have one specific memory of those first few months of first grade that came to mind today as Cole brought home his school pictures.

 School picture day circa 1982..I was rockin' my favorite lavender fancy shirt with a semi forgiving elastic waist and a pair of jeans. I had my hair sponge curled to perfection and my most unfortunate crooked toothed smile was ready for the camera. The pose was: country background / I was standing in back of a giant wagon wheel with hands crossed a top said wheel. Easy enough.  Pictures came back and upon first glance I was pleased...o.k., things were looking good. However, upon closer inspection something instantly caught my eye. A certain fancy lavender shirt with a semi forgiving elastic waist somehow had crept a little too high and had exposed my, oh I cringe.....belly button. So there I am, arms obediently and neatly folded over the wagon wheel and my gut is hanging out. Didn't anyone see that coming....couldn't someone have stepped in and stopped that? Where were the teachers? Or how about the photographer? The lady collecting envelopes with cash or check.....somebody!

Years ago I was a 4th grade teacher before I had my kids. I loved almost every minute of it, including school picture day. I remember getting disposable combs from the photographer as we stood in line with our students waiting for our turn. I walked the line helping to quaff each child's hair. I sent those that needed a little freshening up to the restroom and straightened the collars of others. It was a big deal and I wanted their pictures to turn out as best as possible. If they were my kid I would want their teacher to make an effort to clean them up if need be. Heaven forbid their shirt goes crooked and exposes a belly button or something.

So as you can see...I'm not a real fan of school pictures. In fact, it pains and annoys me to purchase even the cheapest "package." However, every year I give in and buy silly package Q which consists of 2 -5x7s because I guess I'm kind of nostalgic...it's the school lover in me. 


Cole brought home his school pictures today. I so wish I knew how to scan so I could share the results.

I'll just say that 2 things INSTANTLY caught my eye but somehow didn't even phase the photographer or any other adult in the room.

1. He obviously had a peanut butter and JELLY sandwich for lunch.
2. He shouldn't have worn a collared shirt...at least the ones where both collars point down..not UP.

So retakes it is.


Good thing my favorite friend Angie snapped some shots of my darling last month. Fresh faced and collar in place, the way it should be!

1 comment:

Heather said...

LAUGHED my head off reading this...I too have a HORRIBLE wagonwheel-esque photo. It is ridiculous.
Great write. You're so funny :)